My most recent post on LinkedIn cross-posted here.
Having spent the last 4 years working in the productivity category, I wanted to share some learnings from the space. Note, everything below is slanted towards an early-stage startup ultimately selling prosumer to SMB.
1/ Individually vs Group Useful
Sometimes called single-player vs multi-player mode […]
In the past 6 months, I’ve seen more and more infrastructure companies focused on network data optimization (and why shouldn’t they be with video consumption continuing to explode and now representing 40% of all data load). On the other hand, from an operator perspective, the introduction of data caps in creates the downside protection they […]
Back in May, I was inspired by BJ Fogg’s book Mobile Persuasion which described the phone as being used for 3 distinct purposes: entertainment, utility and behavior change (FYI, I don’t actually recall if it was exactly entertainment and utility (or communication) but I want to focus on the third one). In any case, […]
Earlier this week, I moderated the Apps vs Web Apps event at MobileMonday. In addition to being a topic that is quite dear to me (with my prior browsing experience), we had a fantastic turn-out with over 800+ registrations and maybe 400+ folks at the event!
In any case, we touched on a variety […]
I recently moderated the “Go to Market” panel at Mobile 2.0 last week. I took the path of pretending to be a developer and asking my panelists what I should do.
I started by asking the panel what platform should I build for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I was expecting a very rationale answer […]
When speaking with the larger social gaming companies and asking why mobile hasn’t been a focus (to date), the response is interesting and a validation of how fragmented the mobile device and platform landscape is. Typically, the answer is something along the lines of “…we launch an average Facebook game and we make $3M per […]
In the past 2 years, the industry has finally moved beyond LBS as a category to LBS as a feature. As stated previously, “What app wouldn’t be more useful with location?”! What’s misunderstood in all of this is how location is retrieved by the app and what this means.
E911 (government mandated subscriber location lookup) […]
One of the interesting trends in the industry is that the browser is becoming the platform for mobile applications. Why build native apps that require significantly more engineering effort then web apps which are truly a write once, run anywhere – this is what we’ve always been evangelizing at Skyfire. I’ve always pointed to […]
Follow This Blog Via Email
- Reflecting on the Productivity Category
- Tech Discrimination
- Daily Active Users Don’t Matter!
- IOT: The Competition for Attention
- How Google and Others Are Using Data Science to Speed Up Productivity
- Why I’m Excited About Google Glass?
- Context Is a Layer and Not a Category
- Sales 2.0: The Bottoms-Up Sales Model
- Is UX Going to be Commoditized Next?
- To Win Enterprise, Target the Consumer
- Using a Chromebook for a Week
- Android (and the Tab!) in the Enterprise
- Ad Learnings from Recipe Search
- CPA Advertising on Mobile
- Enterprise Mobile Is Hot!
- Network Responsibility
- In-Door Mapping
- The Social Network
- Using a Mobile Phone to Drive Behavior Change
- Apps vs. Web Apps
- Understanding Developer Psychology
- Are Batteries Improving?
- Over the Air and Emerging Markets
- Are Platform Game Lobbies the Next Social Graph?
- Are Plugins (and Flash) Going Away?
- Lessons Learned in Monetization
- Understanding the Emerging Market
- OEMs, Please Choose
- Understanding PDE (Positional Determining Entity)
- Has the Power Shifted Back to Operators?
- Is the Killer App the App Store?
- Navigating the Mobile Content Landscape
- Wholesale Application Community
- Sharing Overload?
- The Ad Ballot
- Device Patent Wars
- Is Apple Making a Mobile Wallet Play?
- Top 6 Reasons Why Nokia Doesn’t Have a Capacitive Touch Screen
- Mobile Trends 2020
- Mobile Taking a Cue From the Travel Industry
- CTIA Party Analysis
- Measuring AT&Ts Network
- Mobile Cloud Computing
- Mobile Beyond & NARIP
- Mobile 2.0 Advertising Notes
- Carnival of the Mobilists #193
- The Broken Subscription Model
- The Mobile Reserve
- The Fragmented Web
- Got to Love the Music Industry
- What Platforms Should I Build For?
- To Operator or to Not to Operator
- What Do Bankers Do?
- My Older Posts